First, for the simple answer. As long as Google values content and uses it to decide which websites are high authority, and thus places them at the top of their organic results, it will never be time to quit content production. But…
sometimes you’re doing it wrong and that’s when you need to reimagine it.
Have you heard the term “jumping the shark”? If you’re over 40 you may even remember where it came from. Happy Days, one of the longest running television series featured an episode (spoiler alert) where Fonzie literally jumped a shark on his motorcycle. It was as awful as it sounds.
There are moments in popular TV shows where the writers, producers, directors, and stars just seem to have given up and add crazy plot twists. But not good crazy. Bad crazy. Like putting guys who spend at least two minutes of every episode in front of a mirror on the back of a motorcycle over a shark tank.
If you’re not careful, your chamber content can jump the shark too.
Signs Your Chamber Content Is Jumping the Shark
Look for these signs. If you find them, don’t give up. Change it up.
- Your content today sounds the exact same it did two years ago. Same tired topics. Same lack of energy.
- You spend more time writing about things already on your website, like hours you’re open and holidays you’re closed, than you do giving members what they want.
- All of your content is in the same media format.
- You’ve seen a big change in your shares and comments, and not in a good way.
- You thought a good Facebook Live would be placing your ED on the back of a motorcycle to jump a tank with a shark in it.
- No one even knows you have a blog. Not even your staff.
- You’ve lost your passion for the community and your job.
If you’ve done or felt any of the signs above, it’s time to rework your chamber content. It doesn’t mean you should give up producing it. Quite the opposite, but you have to find a new spark or a new approach.
Often, that comes to rethinking your ideal member. Make sure you’re not thinking of your audience as a faceless group. Instead, remember who they are and imagine creating content just for them. That should get you back on track.
Registration for the 2017 Chamber Pros Online Conference is NOW OPEN! (Get the details)