It’s Giving Tuesday and it’s a day people are thinking about their favorite charities and nonprofits.
A chamber pro on the Chamber of Commerce Professionals Group on Facebook posed the question of what other chambers do for their local nonprofits. Do they donate? Do they have strict rules against it? Here’s what the other chamber professionals had to say about how they help nonprofits in their communities.
Chambers Assisting Nonprofits
While the results of the discussion in the Facebook group don’t constitute any sort of official poll, here’s how the answers broke down at the time this article was written:
- Twenty-four chambers donate money to at least one charity or nonprofit.
- Nineteen chambers gave a definitive “no.”
- Eight chambers don’t donate directly but find other ways to give to their community. Some of their ideas included:
- Discounted dues. One chamber offers discounted dues for nonprofits. Since there are so many nonprofits in the area, the chamber cannot contribute to all of them so they offer this instead.
- Supplies and resources. Terri Schulz at the Waupaca Area Chamber of Commerce does this for inquiring nonprofits, “We will help advertise their events or let them use stuff such as pop-up tents…”
- Promotion. Many chambers used their vast audience to help local nonprofits with promotion and attention. Some purchased ads in nonprofit directories and such as well.
- Two birds strategy. A few chambers mentioned that at their business after hours, they have a host business and a host nonprofit. This allows them to service both areas of the community and win more exposure for their members.
- Giving back. Several chambers didn’t give money but gave their time instead. The Moore Chamber of Commerce reported, “We work once a quarter for a nonprofit volunteering our time. This year in honor of our 50th anniversary we made a monetary donation to every non-profit member. In addition, we give a donation in honor of all exiting board members to the nonprofit of their choice instead of a plaque that no one wants. These actions the past 3 years have been very well received by the membership as they see us giving back to our community.”
A few chambers reported encouraging staff to donate to the United Way giving campaigns.
Do you donate or not? Share your thoughts on this subject with chamber pros from around the globe.