I live in Saint Pete, Florida and before I go into its claim to fame (like the place Jack Kerouac died or being the location of the Dali Museum), I want to say these are not the kinds of claims to fame I’m referring to. Nor am I talking about the “Washington slept here” types.
These claims to fame below are things your citizenry is doing to put you on the map and you might just want to become a part of them.
Ideas to Create a Claim to Fame in Your Town
Your town may be small and short on things to do, but there are still ideas that can help people talk about you and attract traffic. Here are a few ideas that some towns are doing:
- Painted rocks. This idea is sweeping the nation. People in towns everywhere are painting rocks, hiding them, and then when they’re found by others, they’re being posted to Facebook. Check out St. Pete Rocks as an example.
- Fiberglass animals. Do you have an animal your town is known for? Maybe a nickname like Cincinnati’s Porkopolis? If you walk around Cincinnati, you’ll see painted fiberglass pigs in all sorts of outfits. Many of them were commissioned or sponsored by local businesses. You could do the same in your town. They provide great photo ops and conversation starters. You can even create a map of each of their locations.
- Town murals. This is another idea that has grown recently. Town murals on the sides of buildings are a great draw that increases pedestrian traffic and interest. Create a map so that visitors can see them all.
- Sculpture. Some towns commission artists to create outdoor sculptures and display them around town. This idea also increases foot traffic and can garner more opportunities for your businesses.
- Themes. If you’re really feeling audacious, you can create a whole new theme for your town. In 1968, the town of Helen, Georgia decided they wanted to do something that would improve business. They worked with a local artist who created an alpine look for the entire town, adding gingerbread trim and details that reminded people of Germany. It’s been a tourist attraction ever since.