If you’re coming up on a major anniversary or milestone, you’re probably looking for creative ideas to celebrate it. It’s never too early to start planning it (well, okay…a decade early might be a bit much, but a handful of years works). Your early planning can be as casual as using an accessible cloud-based tool like Evernote to collect ideas. Those with the log-in information can add things as they come across them and you can worry about the organization later.
Use Social Media
This is a no-brainer but whatever you decide to do to celebrate should involve social media. Here are a few special ways to do it.
- Create a Pinterest board of your community now and then.
- Adopt a hashtag early on and make sure you circulate it. Ask people to use it to post.
- Instagram is a great place to upload historic photos with a then and now concept.
- Run trivia questions on your social media pages.
- Use a count down to the celebration and/or celebration announcements (i.e., “in 3 days we’ll unveil where our anniversary gala will be held.)
- Instead of one big gala, you may want to consider several smaller ways to celebrate (or small celebrations in addition to the gala, if you can swing it). This ensures more people will be a part of the year-long celebration.
- Ask for community stories.
- Hold a contest for elementary students about what the chamber does. Post the funniest answers.
- Post information about the year you started (the price of bread, trendy hairstyles or fashions), anything that will make people feel nostalgic. These type of pieces are great for shares.
- Create a video about the history and highlights of the chamber using pictures from the past.
- Create a special webpage dedicated to your celebration.
- Write a press release that focuses on the anniversary as well as your plans for the future.
- Ask for special anniversary-year sponsors.
What have you done for special anniversaries? Share your ideas here.
A must read for all Chamber Professionals...