People love their pets. If you’ve been considering a pet event among your latest event ideas, you’re in good company. Including pets is a wildly pupular trend right now. (The bad puns are free.)
Pet Event Ideas that Won’t Be Cat-astrophic
The town where I live is largely pet-friendly. We have bars for pets and their human counterparts, grooming salons, outdoor dining, and bakeries that aim at keeping our four-legged friends happy. If the same is true of your town, a chamber event geared towards pets could be a real growl-pleaser. Here are a few ideas:
- A pet/owner look-a-like contest. You can give awards for the closest match, best duo costume, and best duo act.
- Adoption events. Most shelters are overrun with potential pets who need a home, especially after so many of the natural disasters. Adoption events generally make it easy and inexpensive to give a pet a much-needed family. Adoption events also provide a lot of fun PR to the hosting entity. It’s likely your local news will send someone out to report about it and help you draw a crowd.
- Pet parade. The Cleburne County Chamber of Commerce hosts a St. Pawtrick’s Day Parade (See? I’m not the only one who likes to have fun with words.) In it, people dress up their pets and parade them around town. This is part of their larger celebration with a 5K and festival.
- Pooch pageant. A pooch pageant is a beauty pageant for dogs, complete with dress-up competition and talent.
- Howloween costume party. Host a trick or treat for pets or simply throw a costume party for fur babies. The Maitland Area Chamber of Commerce is hosting their inaugural event this year.
- Petstival. Just like a human well-being fair or festival, you could host one for pets and include vendors that cater to pets such as vets, groomers, and pet-friendly businesses.
- Dog Daze. This idea out of the Fort Walton Beach Chamber showcases all sorts of pet activities. Check it out.
Have you held a pet event? Share your experiences here.
Pets not quite the theme you were looking for? Try one of these in our free download:
Must read for all Chamber Professionals...